Analytical Instrumentation Questions and Answers – Spectral Method of Analysis
This set of Analytical Instrumentation Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Spectral Method of Analysis”.
1. Which of the following is not a type of Spectroscopy?
a) Gamma ray
b) X ray
c) Nuclear magnetic resonance
Explanation: Electromagnetic radiation does not include sound. As a result, it is not a Spectroscopy type.
2. Electromagnetic radiation can travel through a vacuum.
Explanation: In a vacuum, electromagnetic radiation can travel. It does not require a medium to spread.
3. Which of the following is false about the wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation?
a) Radiation with short wavelengths have high energies
b) Energy does not depend on wavelength
c) Radiation with long wavelengths have low energies
d) Energy depends on wavelength
Explanation:Short-wavelength radiations have high energy, and vice versa. As a result, energy is proportional to wavelength.
4. Which of the following is the wavelength of microwave radiation?
a) 10 – 780nm
b) 0.78 – 30µm
c) 0.6 – 10 m
d) 0.75 – 3.75 mm
Explanation: Microwave radiation has a wavelength of 0.75 – 3.75 mm. The wavelengths of additional Electro Magnetic radiations are the remaining options.
5. How is the wave number of electromagnetic radiation related to wavelength?
a) It is the reciprocal of wavelength
b) It is directly proportional to wavelength
c) It is not related to wavelength
d) It is equal to wavelength
Explanation: The number of waves scattered over a centimetre is referred to as the wave number. It’s the wavelength’s reciprocal.
6. Which of the following is the wavenumber of UV and Visible radiation?
a) 1 x 106 to 1.3 x 104 m-1
b) 1 x 106 to 1.3 x 104 m
c) 13 – 27 m-1
d) 1 x 106 to 1.3 x 104 m2
Explanation: The UV wave number is 1 x 106 to 1.3 x 104 m-1 visible radiation The reciprocal of wavelength is wave number. As a result, the unit is m-1.
7. Velocity of electromagnetic radiation is more in a vacuum than in any medium.
Explanation: When a medium is present, the velocity of electromagnetic radiation tends to decrease. As a result, it reaches its maximum speed in a vacuum.
8. Spectroscopy deals with interaction of electromagnetic radiation with matter. What is the speed of this radiation in vacuum in m/s?
a) 6 x 108
b) 5 x 108
c) 7 x 108
d) 3 x 108
Explanation: Speed of light is also the speed of all electromagnetic radiations. Speed of light is 3 x 108m/s.
9. Which type of Quantum Transition takes place in Ultra Violet and Visible spectroscopy?
a) Rotation of molecules
c) Bonding electrons
d) Spin of nuclei in a magnetic field
Explanation: Bonding electrons is a form of Quantum Transmission used in UV and Visible Spectroscopy. The remaining alternatives include Quantum Transmission and other spectroscopic techniques.
10. Which of the following is not a property or parameter of electromagnetic radiation?
c) Wave number
Explanation: Electromagnetic radiation has three parameters: wavelength, amplitude, and wavenumber. Velocity and Frequency are two more characteristics to consider.
Spectral methods are a group of techniques used in applied mathematics and scientific computing to numerically solve certain differential equations, using the fast Fourier transform as a possible component. To put it another way, spectral approaches employ a global approach, whereas finite element methods employ a local one. Electromagnetic radiation does not include sound. As a result, it is not a Spectroscopy type. As spectral indexes, spectral codes are established for all spectra in the database, and three query strings are created using the same theory as the index code for the query spectrum.